What's New? | Search with Google™ | Site Map | Return to Home Page | About the Federal Public Defender
Pennsylvania Western District
2019 Summer Legal Internship Program
The Federal Public Defender for the Western District of Pennsylvania in Pittsburgh represents individuals in Federal court charged with Federal crimes. Its Capital Habeas Unit (CHU) represents individuals who have been convicted of capital crimes in state and Federal court and who seek post-conviction relief in Federal court.
This office offers a 10-week summer program for second-year and exceptional first-year law students who possess excellent research and writing skills and demonstrate an interest in Federal indigent defense and/or capital habeas litigation. The positions are unpaid. Responsibilities may include legal research, assisting in drafting motions, drafting memoranda, reviewing records, documents and transcripts, assisting with investigations and observing court proceedings. Prior course work in criminal law and procedure would be helpful.
To apply, please forward a (1) cover letter; (2) resume; (3) short writing sample; (4) complete list of law school classes; (5) current GPA and class ranking; and (6) two references to email@example.com or via regular mail to:
First Assistant Federal Public Defender
Western District of Pennsylvania
1001 Liberty Avenue, Suite 1500
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Successful applicants will be subject to a background fingerprint check as required under the current policy for the Administrative Office of the United States Courts.
This office also offers year-round externship opportunities for second and third-year law students, and inquiries can also be made regarding same to the above.
The Federal Public Defender's Office is an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Other Federal Defender Offices
Florida - Northern District
- Investigator - Tallahassee Office - Position open until filled.
Illinois - Central District
- Investigator - Peoria Office - Position closes December 28, 2018.
Illinois - Southern District
- Assistant Federal Public Defender - East Saint Louis, IL Office - Position closes January 7, 2018.
Indiana - Northern District
- Investigator/Mitigation Specialist - South Bend Office - Position closes February 15, 2018.
Texas - Northern District
- Assistant Federal Public Defender - Dallas/Fort Worth Office - Position open until filled.
- Federal Public Defender - Position closes January 25, 2019.
West Virginia - Southern District
- Investigator - Charleston Office - Position closes February 28, 2019.
Other US Courts Openings
US District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Magistrate Judge - Orlando, FL - Position closes February 15, 2019.
- Magistrate Judge - Ft. Myers, FL - Position closes February 22, 2019.
US District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Pro Se Law Clerk - Position closes January 25, 2019.
US District Court, Western District of Texas
- US Magistrate Judge - Austin, TX - Position closes February 8, 2019.
For more information and additional national openings, please visit the Office of Defender Services Employment web site.
This page was last updated on January 16, 2019.